What documents can I attach to my I-9?

I don't have a passport / driver's license / social security card, what other documents can I attach?

There are two options when attaching a valid identification to your I-9 document.


Attach a photo of your passport and fill out the fields:

This will become your DOCUMENT A which both establishes identity and employment authorization. If you have DOCUMENT A, you don't need to attach other documents. If you don't have a passport, you can also attach your Green Card or Foreign Passport, Form 1766 Employment Authorization Document Card, or Form I-94. All of these fall under DOCUMENT A.



If you don't have those, you will need to attach both DOCUMENT B and DOCUMENT C.

Document B are IDs that establish your identification. This can be your Driver's License. If you don't have your driver's license, you can attach one of these as Document B instead:

  • ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter registration card
  • U.S.military card or draft record
  • Military dependent’s ID card
  • U.S.Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority

Document C are IDs that establish your employment authorization. This can be your Social Security Card (SSC). If you don't have your SSC, you can attach one of these as Document C instead:

  • Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Form FS-545, Certification of Birth Abroad Issued by the U.S. Department of State
  • Form DS-1350, Certification of Report of Birth issued by the U.S Department of State
  • Original or certified copy of Birth Certificate
  • Native American Tribal document
  • Form I-197, U.S Citizen ID Card
  • Form I-179, ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the U.S.
  • Employment Certificate issued by Department of Homeland Security

You can also find this information at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.