I don't have a passport / driver's license / social security card, what other documents can I attach?
There are two options when attaching a valid identification to your I-9 document.
Attach a photo of your passport and fill out the fields:
This will become your DOCUMENT A which both establishes identity and employment authorization. If you have DOCUMENT A, you don't need to attach other documents. If you don't have a passport, you can also attach your Green Card or Foreign Passport, Form 1766 Employment Authorization Document Card, or Form I-94. All of these fall under DOCUMENT A.
If you don't have those, you will need to attach both DOCUMENT B and DOCUMENT C.
Document B are IDs that establish your identification. This can be your Driver's License. If you don't have your driver's license, you can attach one of these as Document B instead:
- ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
- School ID card with a photograph
- Voter registration card
- U.S.military card or draft record
- Military dependent’s ID card
- U.S.Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) card
- Native American tribal document
- Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority
Document C are IDs that establish your employment authorization. This can be your Social Security Card (SSC). If you don't have your SSC, you can attach one of these as Document C instead:
- Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Form FS-545, Certification of Birth Abroad Issued by the U.S. Department of State
- Form DS-1350, Certification of Report of Birth issued by the U.S Department of State
- Original or certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Native American Tribal document
- Form I-197, U.S Citizen ID Card
- Form I-179, ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the U.S.
- Employment Certificate issued by Department of Homeland Security
You can also find this information at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.